Tortilla Samosa - With Feta & Parsley Filling
These are my very own unique creations. Tortilla samosas, filled with potatoes, feta cheese and lots of herbs. They can be either baked in oven or shallow fried and very light to eat during Iftar meals. The thick outer pastry created by the tortilla wraps give these samosas a very nice crispy and crunchy texture.
Watch The Video
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 15
Serves: 6 people
2 medium sized potatoes
1 red onion, chopped
1 hand full of fresh parsley, chopped
20g Feta cheese, cut in small cubes
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
6 wheat tortilla wrap
2 tbs plain or SR flour
1/2 cup water
1. Peel, wash and cut potatoes into cubes. Place in a microwaveable bowl, add 2 cups water and some salt. Place in a microwave and cook for 10 minutes until potatoes are soft. Drain the potatoes and leave to cool.
2. In a bowl, place the boiled potatoes and the remaining ingredients, excluding the wraps. Mix with a fork, crumbling the potatoes and feta slightly.
3. Now make the glue by slowly mixing the flour with water into a microwaveable bowl. Place in the microwave and turn it on for 1-2 minutes, checking to ensure the mixture does not overflow. Take it out of the microwave and stir rigorously with a small spoon into a smooth paste.
4. Cut each tortilla wraps into 4 strips using a scissors.
5. Take one strip and place the glue around the edges with your index finger. Fold one end at the centre.
6. Then fold the other end to form a triangular pocket.
7. Place the filling mixture into the pocket and fold in the remaining strip into a samosa. Use the glue paste liberally ensuring all gaps are fully sealed. Carry on the same method until all the tortilla wrap strips are used up.
8. Line an oven tray with parchment paper. Place the samosas, brush with some olive oil and bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes until crispy and golden. Alternatively shallow fry for crispier texture.
Serve hot with nice spicy dip. Your perfect alternative to samosas!