One-tray Chicken Thighs with Satsuma
The story of a Multi-Tasking Wife 💪🏽
So my mum's in quarantine after coming from Bangkadesh was about to come to an end. I was so excited to finally go and give her a good hug.
Saturday morning 🌄 was a busy one, starting with my boot camp in the morning, packing my bags, doing some shopping for mum and getting kids ready to go to their nanus house plus tidying the house.
As my mind was preoccupied on going to my mums, there was nothing to eat at home for my husband. Usually I'd tell him to get take away for the weekend, but seeing him work meticulously in the garden since the morning, how could I rush out of the house and not leave him food.
I had no time to cook curry so the next best thing was one-tray curry type chicken 🐔 bake.
Chicken thighs cooked in spices, peri peri sauce and vegetables.
I wanted to make it a little currified so that it can be eaten with rice so that my good old farmer 🚜 Macdonald can be nourished for longer.
Thats why I added chopped onions to the dish which makes it moist and creates some masala at the bottom of the tray.
I also love to add some satsuma with the chicken to give it a nice zesty flavour.
As the chicken was cooking in the oven, it gave me the time to iron my clothes, cook rice, have shower and get everything ready.
Thats great multi-tasking if you ask me!
Anyway I went to my mums and met with my family and had a great time and amazing food.
My husband messaged me to thank me for the delicious food I left him and said he was glad I made the chicken for him as he was tired after a long day of pruning trees 🌳, mowing the lawn and cleaning the whole garden, and collecting eggs from Betty and Henny (our imaginary chickens 🐔 lol).
He also informed me that I forgot to turn the heat off from the dhaal which burnt and turned into black tar.
Omg!!!! I totally forgot about the dhaal. I had that going as well amongst everything else.
The moral of the story is try not to multi-multi task. You're not a superwoman and don't try to be one. 🤣🤣
As for the one tray chicken thigh bake recipe; here it is:
1kg chicken thighs and legs with skin on
2 onions, thinly sliced
5 small potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
4 carrots, sliced
For the Spicy Marinade:
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbs tomato ketchup
2 tbs any type of chilli or peri peri sauce
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp mint sauce
1 tbs natural yogurt
Juice of one lime
1. Heat oven to 200 degrees C.
Clean the chicken and place in a large bowl.
2. Add all the ingredients for the marinade, mix well and leave covered for 30mins.
3. Add the sliced onions with the chicken and mix again.
4. Line an oven tray with foil and place the chicken pieces evenly around the tray with the onions sliding amongst the chicken pieces.
4. Use the same bowl as the chicken and place the carrots, potatoes and satsuma. Season with salt and pepper, swirl around the bowl and slide them between the chicken pieces.
5. There is no need to add any oil as the chicken will release enough oil for everything to cook properly.
6. Cook in the oven for up to an hour, turn the chicken and the vegetables at intervals. Take a spoon and baste the chicken with the spices that settle at the bottom of the tray.
7. Towards the end I tend to put the grill on for about 5 minutes to make the chicken skin crispy.
8. Once the chicken is cooked take out of the oven.
Easy one-tray chicken bake. Perfect on it's own with salad or rice and couscous.